ACH Error Resolution


  • In case of Errors or Questions about your Electronic Transfers, call us at 913-367-6000 or write us at PO Box 189 Atchison, KS 66002 as soon as you can, if you think your statement or receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement or receipt. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent the FIRST statement on which the problem appeared (See Regulatory Disclosures -REG E for a full disclosure regarding your rights and responsibilities )
  • A Written Statement of Unauthorized Debits may be accessed to expedite the filing of your claim. Please contact the Bookkeeping Department for instructions and additional information regarding this process.